Winter at the Star
Keeping you entertained in chilly January and February
Quiz night is back on Wednesdays from January 15 and Pie Night continues on Tuesday evenings alongside our regular bar menu.
And if that's not enough to cheer you up...why not banish the winter blues with our Sausage and Cider weekend - with locally-sourced ciders and sausages from some of our favourite local suppliers including Rawlings (butchers in Abergavenny), Coity Bach Farm (just up the road) and Beacons Farm in nearby Bwlch.
Ciders will also be local with tipples from Pontypridd-based Gwynt y Ddraig and Ty Gwyn Cider from Monmouthshire - and Aber Valley Apple Juice as a delicious and very local, non-alcoholic alternative.
- The sausage menu will be available on Friday January 31 and Saturday Feb 1 from 6-9pm
- There will be free cider tasters so you can try before you buy!
- We'll have live music from the Bleedin' Noses
Don't forget, star-gazing's best in the winter...
Do you know your Leo from your Lyra? Ever seen a meteor shower?
Come and discover the Milky Way and enjoy our really dark skies here in the Brecon Beacons National Park - now officially an International Dark Sky Reserve (one of only five in the world). The skies are so clear and unpolluted by light here that the Milky Way is often visible with the naked eye. We bet if you live in a town, city or suburban area lit by many streetlights you'll find the amount of stars you can see here even just by standing in our pub garden truly amazing.
We run occasional star-gazing events here at the pub, with the help of experts from Glamorgan University and the Usk Astronomical Society.
Or visit the Brecon Beacons National Park website to find out about the star-gazing events held in the area.
Special children's stargazing event on November 29 - FREE but limited spaces
This event will take place from 5.15-6pm on November 29 and is aimed at primary school children aged 5+ years.
We will have a dark walk and talk then head to the village hall for a visit to the planetarium. If it's clear we will take telescopes outside (with members of Usk Astronomical Society) to see what we can see!
Spaces limited - call Anna on 01874 676635 , email email@example.com or drop in to the pub to pick up tickets.
Pint glasses to the ready - October beer festival ahoy
Our annual beer festival takes place from Friday October 11th to Sunday October 13th.
We'll have the usual marquee in the garden and a range of more than 30 real ales plus six top notch ciders on tap too.
There will be live music (see below for times) and we'll provide tasting notes for those of you who like to know more about the real ales we've lined up for you.
If you want to book your accommodation try the village website for places to stay (only if we're booked up obviously!)
Beers to whet your appetite include
- Celt "La Tene" 3.3%
- Acorn "Autumn Red" 4.5%
- Mr Grundys "Big Willie" 4.3%
- Oakham "Citra" 4.2%
- Elland "Demon's Eye" 5.2%
- Ringwood "Old Thumper" 5.6%
- Orkney "Raven" 3.8%
- Brecon "Green Beacons" 4.3%
- We'll also have a beer from new enterprise, the Grey Trees Brewery, based in Aberdare: "Caradog's Bitter" 3.9%
October Beer Festival: Live music line-up*
* And a stand-up comedian too!
- Friday 9pm - Black Rat Effect
- Saturday midday - Garth Mountain Boys
- Saturday 3pm - Parcel of Rogues
- Saturday 7pm - Mike Bubbins, stand-up comedian
- Saturday 9pm - Livestock Davies & The Lowdown Snakes
- Sunday 1pm - Ragsy (Aberdare born singer-songwriter and Sir Tom Jones' pick on BBC1's The Voice)
Our pub quiz is back this autumn - and so is Pie Night
The nights are drawing in (even though we're having a lovely bit of Indian Summer right now) so it's time to re-start our pub quiz and bring back the ever popular Pie Night to its regular Tuesday night slot.
- Pub quiz is on every Wednesday from September 25
- Live music is on the last Friday of every month
- Pie Night is back every Tuesday
Time to celebrate a hat-trick of awards...
It's September and it's time to celebrate because we're very proud to announce we've won not only CAMRA's Brecknockshire Pub of the Year for 2013 but also (drum roll please)... CAMRA's Mid and South Wales gold award for pub of the year 2013. We also claimed second place for CAMRA's Brecknockshire Cider Pub of the Year 2013.
- Join us to celebrate when we are formally presented with the awards on Sunday September 8 from 3pm. There will be music and food in the garden to say thank you to all our loyal supporters. See you there!
Summer fun at the Star
Brecon Jazz Fringe - we're part of it!
- Live music during The Brecon Fringe Festival from August 9-11th:-
- Friday evening from 9pm (Whisky Business)
- Saturday bands at midday (Sicknote Steve), 3pm (Calling Card), 6pm (Parcel of Rogues) and 9pm (Western Super Bears)
- Sunday bands at 1pm (Livestock Davies & The Lowdown Snakes) and 4pm (The Hot Rods)
- Food as usual on Friday evening; barbecue food in the garden (weather permitting) on Saturday & Sunday
And, as ever...
- Real ales galore! - ever-changing selection (see our beers page for the latest real ales)
- Beer garden by the river and Monmouthshire & Brecon Canal - great location, fun for kids, dogs on leads welcome!
Summer beer festival June 14-16
- Real ales galore! - with tasting notes available
- Marquee in the garden by the river - great location!
- Live music Friday night from 9pm - Glas
- Live music Saturday 1pm - The Bleedin' Noses; 4pm Key Green (duo); 8.30pm Livestock Davies & the Lowdown Snakes
- Live music Sunday 1pm - Mike Bird and the Night Jars
So many ales, so little time?
We'll have plenty of ales to whet your whistle with at our summer beer festival (and some ciders too). Here's a selection of what will be on offer:
Local real ales from
- Otley - Hop Angels (4.8%)
- Celt - Cryf ((4.8%)
- Waen - Janners Pride (4%)
Beers from further afield
- Crouch Vale - Citra (3.9%)
- Beowulf - Dark Raven (4.5%)
- Abbeydale - Assension (6.0%)
- Marble - Ginger (4.5%)
Cider from just down the road
- Aber Valley Fruits - Riginal
- More ciders available too!
Early summer at the Star...
Special food nights
- Fish Night - our next Fish Night is on Friday May 17 from 6-9pm (booking recommended)
- Pie Night is on Tuesdays (from April 16th)
Live music coming up
- Live music at our beer festival from Fri-Sun (see above)
Get your brain in gear...
- Our regular Wednesday night pub quiz is back (from April 17th)
Family event: Children's Easter Nature Workshop on April 4
Join wildlife expert Neville Davies at the Star Inn for a talk on why birds lay eggs and build nests - with some real eggs and nests to see and some surprises too.
This will be followed by a gentle circular walk to see the birds in the wild. You will have the chance to write down answers along the route to bird-related questions with a prize at the end for the most correct answers.
- Morning event - meet 9.15am at the Star (talk starts 9.30am) - finishes 12.30pm at the Star with prizes
- Afternoon event - meet 1.45pm at the Star (talk starts 2pm) - finishes 5pm at the Star at 5pm with prizes
- Suitable for famlies with children aged 5 years+ (children must be accompanied)
- £5 per family
* Tea, coffee and cold drinks available to buy during the talk and on our return...
How to book
Drop in or call Anna at the Star on 01874 676635. We look forward to seeing you at this fun family event!
...and more March events
Friday, March 22 - Burger Night (6-9pm)
We'll have tuna burgers, lamb burgers with mint relish and even Bwlch Farm wild boar burgers!
- Choose a bun, choose your burger, add extras and side dishes. Yum!
* Booking advisable!
Friday, March 29 - Live music night - The Bleedin' Noses, from 9pm
Join this Welsh band for an eclectic mix of punk rock, folk and "vicious skiffle" (their words, not ours!) - Bleedin' Noses website
Get ready for St David's Day...
...and more March fun at the Star
We've got a special St David's Day menu that will be available for one week only from March 1 - we'll be serving Welsh dishes, local ingredients...come along and find out what chef Craig and chefette Raquel have cooked up this year.
If you book a table on March 1 you'll love our traditional folk Welsh singer, Catrin O'Neill who'll be exercising her vocal chords from 9pm. Check out Catrin's MySpace page for a taster!
And another diary date: March 22 is burger night. Not just any old burgers - there'll be homemade burgers with interesting variations to tickle your tastebuds. From 6-9pm: booking essential.
Rock n roll with us in February
Live music at the Star this month...
We've got Usk-based covers band Millennium to entertain us at our next live music night on Friday Feb 22 from 9pm. Come along for rock and pop and a great night out! Check them out...
Comfort eat with us in January
Grab yourself some January cheer with our sausage and cider weekend
Our first event of the year is guaranteed to bring some January cheer: we've planned a special Sausage and Cider event on Friday January 25 and Saturday January 26.
You'll be able to taste a selection of award-winning, locally-made sausages before you choose from the sausage dishes on the menu - not forgetting to sample a real cider to go with them!
- We'll have sausages from True Taste Award winners Coity Bach farm, the Welsh Venison Centre and Rawlings Butchers in Abergavenny.
- We'll have Welsh ciders from Ty Gwyn, Gwynt y Ddraig, Ralph's and Aber Valley (and Aber Valley warm apple juice too)
- Special sausage menu available Friday evening, Saturday lunchtime and Saturday evening (tasting session from 5-6pm Sat)
There will be live music on Friday night too - what more could you want on a cold winter weekend!